Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Mud, Mud, Mud

There is so much mud in my pasture, I have to keep blogging about it...

Don't click off the page yet...I will spare you all the gory details of mud because you see, I must get over the mud. I know that spring will be here soon and planning the Farmer's Market seems to help pass the gray winter days because, once again, I know that soon plants will go in the ground, the sun will shine again, and the temperature won't be in the thirties.

Speaking of Market Planning...things are progressing nicely with help from the Farmer and his lovely wife. I really love planning meetings because they invite me to their house and give me yummy food and vodka and I always leave there with a goodie.

I wonder if I could plan a meeting every week???

Last night we decided on our Official Name...

wait for it...

Divide Farm Exchange

Farmer's Wife tends to think it will appeal to the male persuasion and I tend to agree.

We also finalized the decision to be certified through the county, which is free, but they take .60 cents per farmer, per market day (always have to have their hand in the pot) and you have to follow their rules. Being certified does mean that "small" homegrown farmers will not be able to sell (unless they get certified) but it does open the market to professional farmers, who are also needed for Farm to School Program.

Next step is to go Market Shopping (sounds really boring huh??) This way we can recruit specific vendors to round out our market. First up, year round market in Old Town Auburn...

BTW, I found my new hero yesterday. She owns the largest privately owned market chain in California and has a non-profit for School Gardens. Here is her website if your interested...

http://www.ccfm.com/site/index.php

No comments:

Post a Comment